

I have been dancing around taking a closer look at my shame. About a week ago, as I was lamenting this avoidance, I thought about the stories of Sue Monk Kidd and Anna Halprin. Both of these women surrounded themselves with other women as they worked through painful processes in their lives. (You can read about their stories in The Dance of the Dissident Daughter and On Women Turning 70: Honoring the Voices of Wisdom.) It occurred to me that I could choose to look at the painful process of looking at the effects of shame on my life as a dance. As a creative piece to be shared with my sister-friends. So my dear friends, thank you for being in my life. I welcome you to circle around me, cheering me on, as I begin this dance!
About the art: The circle in the bottom left side of the painting is of me standing with my sister-friends looking on at the dance God and I are performing as we process through my shame. The circle of friends is firmly rooted in the tree symbolizing our shared experience of having to leave the Garden of Eden due the choice we made to eat the apple. A ribbon of the root encircles us. The words to the right of the circle are the words I wrote in my journal when I first began to realize that I could view this process as a creative, sister-dance.
No comments:
Post a Comment