
It's happening again. Books are lining up like doorways stretched out in front of me, charting a road to be traveled. I am not complaining. This integration of life and literature is one of my favorite things. But as I am looking at the books, and the color of this blog, I am seeing red and black.
I think it is true that we are drawn to the colors we need. So why I am drawn to red and black? Now that I think about it, they are the colors I want to put in my kitchen. Looking back on my notes for a workshop on emotions and color, I find that black is about death, obviously, but it is also about fear, mystery, power, and even style. I would say that at this point in my life I have a lot of fear around the mystery of death. It is not a stretch to say that I am in a power struggle with God over death, why he allowed it, etc. (Like I am going to be able to change the fact that it happens.)
Where does red come into play? Red is also about power, but maybe not so much from an authoritarian/ruler perspective, but, for me, more of an angry victim perspective. ("Why is all of this death and suffering happening around me? I don't deserve this.") Red is also about love, passion, and sensuality. All necessary fuel for the artist. Some days I feel like the five senses are on fire within me, inciting creativity. I think the fiery need to create is juxtapositioned with the solid, black, heavy mass that death is. I want to light it on fire. Okay, I am not going to be able to abolish it, but maybe I will be able to see it more clearly. To make some sense out of it.
Pictured Bibliography:
Traveling with Pomegranates (Sue Monk Kidd)
To Be Told (Dan Allender)
The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher (Bruno Ernst)and one more to be written about on the next post.....
No comments:
Post a Comment